Friday, August 2, 2013

catching up...kansas city

Whew! It sure has been a crazy and incredible past month--all away from home and traveling all around at that, which makes it that much more phenomenal. I finally am having a bit of down time to begin the catch up process from my recent travels. 

The first of my little month about the U.S. (sort of-ish) was to Kansas City, Missouri to meet up my 93 year old grandmother with her 90 year old sister from Seneca, Kansas. But of course the family decided to make a small few days of the trip while we were at it. Surprisingly I had never really explored Kansas City the couple of times I had been there, mostly because the only times I had been there were for band competitions in Worlds of Fun, the amusement park there..ha..or most recently for a Red Hot Chili Peppers concert last fall, to which I was there for the concert only and it was nighttime. It was a gorgeous little city that really has a lot to offer if you stay there long enough or if you are taking a small vacation such as what we did. 

Our first evening in town, we went out on the town--ish--mostly meaning we all went out to eat and caught up over a plethora of random (barbecue chicken, BLT, meat lovers, spinach artichoke) flavored pizza.

We were only in town for a total of three days (an evening, a full day, and a morning). On our full day my family wandered downtown KC and the plaza, where all of their beautiful (and crazy expensive) shops all are. Some more family from my mom's side, that I really didn't know too much about or how we're all related came to visit with my grandma and her sister because they live fairly close and thought to stop by and catch up. We spent a lot of the afternoon, reminiscing and listening to the stories of the sisters' childhood. It was truly amazing to hear the stories from the early and mid 20th century in Kansas from their point of view and how their family lived through all those times. It was such a blessing to get the two sisters together again and how happy they were to be in each other's company.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment