Saturday, June 1, 2013

snip snip


The other day after work, I decided I needed some retail therapy and headed over to the mall. I quickly came to the realization that typical mall stores are not meant for me. As I browsed through a few of the stores, I found that many of the clothes were out of my price range. I also discovered that these days when I go to stores that other people my age go to pants and shorts especially are far too tight for my muscular and not toothpick thin thighs to fit into, too low cut, and overall too skimpy. But when I move up a few sizes to get a more comfortable, less slinky feel, my waist is nowhere near a perfect fit. It's just a huge dilemma and I have found myself wearing the bottoms I love until they are no longer wearable, which brings me back to this situation of the massive search for new bottoms that fit as perfect as the previous pair. I've come to the conclusion that stores like that are no longer for me, the more I wear an entire outfit from a specific store, the more I begin to feel myself fading into "just another person". And that's the last thing I want.

Needless to say, I left the mall empty handed and headed straight to a Salvation Army Thrift Store. I found four items and paid less than twelve dollars. (!) I knew that these articles of clothing would each need a bit of renovation if you will, but that extra work to my clothing always makes each piece more special to me. And by adding your own flare to (cheap) clothes, keeps your personal style beyond fresh; which is something that I admire about those who wear what they want and don't oblige to the "rules of fashion"--whatever in the world those even are. So go to a thrift shop, a Goodwill, a yard sale, anything, enjoy, have fun, shop local!





No comments:

Post a Comment