Tuesday, June 25, 2013

the city that never sleeps. part one

I experienced and discovered many, many things while in New York and I would love to share everything about my trip (without being too extensive with details and, in turn, getting boring). Because I spent my time in the City That Never Sleeps, I did experience and do, well, a lot. Therefore I will be talking a lot more than the photos I have due to the more "experiencing" aspect of my trip rather than the picture taking.
Day one: arriving in the Big Apple, we ran around town with our suitcases (a mistake I never want to make again), got off the wrong side of our stop to the apartment we were staying in and had to trek up a giant hill and once in the apartment complex, struggling up six flights of stairs with said luggage. 

Day two: Kelcey and I had brunch with the friends we were staying with. Sadly no photos of how incredible this granola greek and frozen yogurt combo was or with our friends for that matter..Sorry Caleb and Carly :( ! We then explored the High Line, a park that was built on an old train rail viewing the gorgeous city. There are so many beautiful and interesting people to see and so many breathtaking views that it gets pretty overwhelming to soak in all at once. We walked along Battery Park and simply enjoyed the beautiful spring-like day. Later on, we had our Keigwin orientation for the intensive for the eventful week we had ahead of us. I met so many incredibly friendly people which got me even more excited to begin the week full of dancing! In the evening following our orientation, we watched the Tony Awards in Times Square. It was a wonderful experience, especially compared to typically watching the awards sitting on my couch in front of the television at home.

Day three through seven: Keigwin intensive! I learned so incredibly much over the course of this week. I made many new connections and new friends from all over the country and have the time of my life exploring and learning with the company. Everyday we had class with a different company member each morning, then my group learned Runaway from Keigwin + Company's repertoire next. After our lunch break we then made a new dance with the phenomenal Larry Keigwin himself. Seeing the way he creates and his unique creative process was so interesting to me and definitely gave me perspective and ideas to my own choreographic process. We then had a class entitled "tuning" which was getting us all improving and working into our personal style and not getting stuck in a rut of the same movements while improving. On Friday evening, we had a performance of all we did over the course of the week which included each group's rep and the new dance made. It truly was an amazing experience and what a brilliant way to spend my first time in New York. 


No comments:

Post a Comment