Saturday, July 26, 2014

struggling thoughts

This morning I woke up (then hit snooze, and woke up then hit snooze, and woke up) for an audition. My initial thought this morning was that I didn't want to go. What's the point of going, especially if I can't even accept it if I get in because I'm in school for another year. 

It made me wonder if this is the mentality that I should have if I want to be a professional. I should be up and at 'em and ready to do each audition that is thrown at me. 

That's what I thought this morning. 

But I think the reality of it all is that this is my work, my job. There are times that people in business wake up in the morning and don't  want to do their 9-5 shift, or whatever the circumstances. That's life. Sometimes we don't want to do things. But we have to anyways. We must do it in order to learn. 

That's why I am going to this audition today. Not because I want this gig. But because I want to learn. I want to learn for myself (instead of desperately searching online about whether you should go to an audition you know you can't accept... and, yes, I did just that.) I want to figure out on my own how to say no or turn down an opportunity, if it comes to that. I need to figure out on my own what path I am wanting to take; what path is best for me and not some preconceived idea of what a dance major who's senior year is quickly approaching should be doing. I'LL DO WHAT I WANT. But in all seriousness...by going to these auditions, and not going to auditions, and realizing what kind of people I want to be working with and around, and the atmosphere I best fit into, is the only way I will figure out my own path.


Just some Saturday morning thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment